Dry skin makes the whole appearance of a person dull. The lack of glowing skin not only is a hindrance in getting overall beauty but also leads to various skin problems like itchy skin, dry skin spots and patches, skin rashes and ultimately fast aging of the skin due to wrinkles. Let us learn how to cure the dry skin of our body.
Dry skin conditions are due to the inability of the skin to retain moisture. Many natural dry skin treatments can change dry skin from lusterless skin to rejuvenated healthy skin. However, before knowing the various home remedies and herbs for dry skin, it seems right to know the Ayurvedic dry skin concept.
How To Cure Dry Skin By Ayurvedic Dry Skin Concept
As indicated by Ayurveda, dry skin is the consequence of Vata Dosha or Vata vitiation. When Vata dosha rises in a body, it leads to reduced Kapha and makes the body and facial skin dry and wrinkled.
Kapha is the element responsible for keeping skin soft and smooth. Dry skin problem aggravates due to environment and weather conditions also. Most of the people experience excessively dry skin in winters when the dry and cold weather does not let the skin remain moist enough.
However, dry skin problems are not absent in summers when it is too hot and dry. Skin getting dry in summers is due to pitta vitiation and not due to Vata vitiation. Thus, Ayurvedic dry skin concept lists some of the main causes of dry skin as under.
- Exposure to cold and dry climate (sometimes hot and dry climate too).
- Suppressing natural urges such as urination, defecation, hunger, thirst, etc.
- Sleep disorders, staying awake till late at night.
- Irregular and unhealthy food habits
- Excessive physical and mental exertion.
- Excessive intake of spicy, dry, and bitter food.
Home Remedies To Cure Dry Skin
Natural dry skin treatments need some lifestyle changes related to the use of beauty cosmetics, drink and food habits, as well as certain home remedies with the help of day to day ingredients found at home and certain specific herbs for dry skin treatment.
Lifestyle Changes for Dry Skin Treatment
- Drink enough water each day. You should drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily.
- Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Better if they have more water content like cucumber, tomatoes, watermelon, orange. Have plenty of nuts, especially almonds and walnuts.
- Get enough sleep. Six to eight hours of sleep at night help restore the oxygen level of blood responsible for the renewal of body cells essential for keeping the young looks of skin rejuvenated.
- Avoid hot showers. High-temperature water robs the skin of its natural oils that keep skin moist. In winter, make the bathing water only mildly warm if you can’t have a bath with cold water.
- Protect your facial and body skin from UV rays of the sun. Always carry some cloth-like scarves or an umbrella to protect yourself from the sun.
- Do not take stress. This is one of the causes of many skin problems including dry skin.
- Quit smoking and limit the intake of alcohol. The harmful elements in them cause dry skin.
- Never go to bed with makeup on. Wash all the applied cosmetics with clean water and if necessary with mild soap having moisturizer. Then apply some moisturizing cream. Natural, homemade or herbal dry skin creams without chemicals are best for the skin.
Home Made Skin Lotions, Creams, Facials, Masks
- Mix equal quantities of glycerin and rose water. Store this excellent dry skin lotion in a clean bottle and apply it on dry facial skin or skin of hands and feet whenever required. It is best to be applied after having a bath for those who suffer from excessive dry skin. Always shake the bottle before use as glycerin settles down at the bottom of the bottle (Blend lemon juice to this mixture if you have a mixed type of skin having a combination of dry and oily skin).
- Mix equal quantities of petroleum jelly and glycerin and apply it on your dry skin of face and body and keep it overnight.
- Mix equal quantities of petroleum jelly, vitamin E oil, and glycerin. Apply for half an hour over face and body before taking a shower.
- Take plain water and glycerin in the ratio of 10:1 and apply it on your dry skin of hand and feet before going to the bed. This will give you soft skin in a few days.
- For having a special hand wash soap, mix glycerin with your liquid soap and fill it in a bottle. Wash your hands with this soap to avoid dry skin on hand.
- Take 1 tsp each of rose water, egg yolk, olive oil, lime juice, and orange juice and mix them thoroughly. Apply this smooth homemade dry skin lotion to your face in the morning and wash it off after 20 minutes.
- Make a face mask by mixing honey, egg, olive oil and rose water and use it as a dry skin facial mask.
- Get an ayurvedic massage with herbal oil (made with Vata balancing herbs). It is good to have daily body massage for people with dry skin but if that is not possible, take such massages at least once a week.
- Lavender oil and sandalwood oil is also good for dry skin for their soothing and cool effects. A few drops of these oils can be used in bathing water.
- Mix glycerin, castor oil and rose water with 1 tbsp of ‘malai’ or milk cream. Apply this mixture on face, neck and on hands before going to bed. Wash it off with water in the morning. This keeps dry skin hydrated during the day.
- Mix ground almonds, honey, and malai (milk cream) and apply the mixture at least twice a week and keep it for half an hour.
- Mix 1/4th cup yogurt, 1tsp honey, and 1tbsp milk powder. Apply on the face for 10 minutes and wash it off with cold water.
How To Cure Dry Skin By Herbs
Aloe vera is the miracle herb for all skin types and not just for dry skin treatment. It has been used for ages for wounds, minor burns, and itchy skin treatments. The leaves of the aloe vera plant contain about 96% of water and other active ingredients like essential oil, amino acids, minerals, vitamins, enzymes, and glycoproteins.
All these ingredients help in providing a natural glow to the skin and in retaining the moisture of the dry skin even in brutal atmospheric changes. Aloe vera gel directly taken from the crushed leaves can be applied on the face and body. Aloe vera is one of the best herbs for curing dry skin.
Chamomile has very soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. As such, it is used for treating most of the skin problems including eczema, skin rashes, itchy dry skin, etc. Tie one or half cup fresh or dried chamomile herb in a cloth bag and put it in tub water. Allow it to get soaked for ten minutes before having a bath.